Saturday, May 16, 2009

Updating systems

I did a lot of software updating this past week, updating most of the distributions on three distinct systems I have at home, a Compaq/HP D530 desktop and two laptops, first a Lenovo 3000 Y410, then what I call a portable, a Gateway PA6A 17" system, which is what I typically use as my desktop.

All updates went well, and we seem to be going through a time of relative quiet, at least for the stable distributions. The Mandriva Cooker, on the other hand, had 715 initial updates, then when I removed some old packages with old file dependencies, I added well over 400 new packages when I added the complete KDE4 metapackage (which I may disassemble at some point in the future). The Mandriva Cooker did well, particularly since it is really at an early Alpha stage for the Mandriva 2010.0 Fall release.

Ubuntu also released Alpha 1 this week; I have not gotten into that - I may wait until Alpha 2 or 3 to get involved in it.

No comments: