Sunday, June 19, 2005

Not very active blogging

I have not been active in blogging activity, either here or on any other blog, unless you count activity in various forums "blogging". Even then, I have not been as active as I once was. I have managed to install a few desktop software systems over the past few months and wring some good usage out of them. I successfully migrated from my own custom version of Libranet 2.8.1 to the latest release, Libranet 3.0, whereupon I installed all of the latest packages over the supported versions provided by the release. Libranet is a complete system based on the solid foundations of Debian GNU/Linux software. Though I really like several other desktop systems for simplicity and preconfigured setup, especially SimplyMEPIS, at the end of the day, I still end up running Libranet more than anything else.

Over the years, I've enjoyed long stints running Caldera Open Linux eDesktop 2.4, then several releases of Mandrake (and I still run Mandriva from time to time), then Lycoris, which I used as my default desktop environment for almost two years, then Libranet. Lycoris was probably the best designed of all, from a user interface perspective, so I am looking forward to seeing what Joe Cheek's influence will be on the next desktop release of Mandriva, now that Lycoris and Mandriva have merged and joined forces.

I was very saddened to hear the news that Jon Danzig, founder of Libra Systems, LTD., makers of Libranet, had been having health problems. Shortly after Libranet 3.0 was released, he passed away. He will be greatly missed by many. I have many personal memories of Jon, including receiving a personal note from Jon when I purchased Libranet 2.7, after giving it a glowing software review.

SimplyMEPIS looks really good these days. I think that it is one of the distributions to keep an eye on. Ubuntu is the other distribution that I'd watch, as well as the newly energized Mandriva.

No comments: